Percoche in Red Wine
with Enzo
This is a very hot
summer and we haven’t seen rain for over three months. Today in Lucca the
temperature is 38 C (102 F) and the met people are forecasting that the
temperature will increase further in the next few days. I need tons of water
(possibly not at room temperature) but also something that quenches my thirst
but with a little bit of substance.
In Naples people have found a way to trap this fragrance into a drink perfect for our hot days. This wonderful drink could be described as a sort of Neapolitan version of sangria.
What one needs is four or five percoche, a bottle of medium bodied red wine, and a fridge of course.
The percoche are cut in chunks, placed in a jug and covered with wine. Simple and one also have the most delicious pudding included.
Ingredients:
4/5 percoche or good quality (I mean strong flavour and firm flesh) peaches
1 bottle of good medium bodied red wine 12 to 12.5% alcohol – I have used a good middle of the range Chianti
Cut the percoche in chunks, not too small but obviously not too big, let’s say, about 1 inch?
Place the percoche in a capable jug and pour red wine on them and make sure that they are all immersed.
Put the jug in the fridge to rest and chill for at least 3 hours.
In my time in Naples my mother made large jugs of them to accompany our long family Sunday meals. Even now I hear that in my city when somebody come up with the idea everybody gets instantly very excited and good mood springs out.
Cheers!










-medium.jpg)

Fa caldo sì ma io preferisco così piuttosto che pioggia...che fra poco arriverà! La sangria la bevvi a Barcellona, buonissima! Ciao, Arianna
ReplyDeleteI love this idea.
ReplyDeletethat looks so delicious! even if it's getting cooler, I still think it's a lovely idea and very refreshing!
ReplyDelete